In the late 1980's members of the battery community comprising scientists from universities and research centers, technologists and manufacturers of lead-acid batteries and related equipment from various countries worldwide, united by their common interest to improve the lead-acid battery, started to meet periodically and exchange ideas and information in the field of battery science and technology. The initiative for organizing regular international conferences on lead-acid batteries belongs to Prof. Detchko Pavlov, Head of the Lead-Acid Battery Department (LABD) of the Institute of Electrochemistry and Energy Systems - IEES (former CLEPS), an Institute of the Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (BAS).
The first Lead-Acid Battery Conference, LABAT'89, was held in Varna, Bulgaria in June 1989. It was very successful, attended by 250 scientists, leading battery technologists and manufacturers from 34 countries worldwide. Nine more LABAT issues followed the success of LABAT'89.
LABAT conferences held so far:
- LABAT’1989 held in Varna, Bulgaria, in 1989
- LABAT’1993 held in Varna, Bulgaria, in 1993
- LABAT’1996 held in Varna, Bulgaria, in 1996
- LABAT’1999 held in Sofia, Bulgaria, in 1999
- LABAT’2002 held in Varna, Bulgaria, in 2002
- LABAT’2005 held in Varna, Bulgaria, in 2005
- LABAT’2008 held in Varna, Bulgaria, in 2008
- LABAT’2011 held in Albena, Bulgaria, in 2011
- LABAT’2014 held in Albena, Bulgaria, in 2014
- LABAT'2017 held in Golden Sands, Bulgaria, in 2017
The basic topics discussed at the LABAT conferences include the latest achievements in:
- lead-acid battery theory, technology, design and operation
- new applications of lead-acid batteries
- novelties in battery materials, machines and equipment for battery manufacture and testing, etc.
- environmental aspects of battery production, usage and recycling
- batteries for electric vehicles as a more environment-friendly alternative.
The titles and the authors of the presented lectures are listed as follows:
The most interesting papers presented at the LABAT conferences held so far have been published in devoted issues of the international Journal of Power Sources, volumes 30 and 31 (1990); 46 (1993); 64 (1997); 85 (2000), 113(2003), 158 (2006), 191 (2009) and 207/209 (2012).
Gaston Planté Medal
The Bulgarian Academy of Sciences on each LABAT conference awards the Gaston Planté Medal, to a scientist, selected by an International Gaston Planté Medal Committee, for significant contribution to the development of lead-acid battery science and technology.
The Organizing Committee of LABAT is grateful for the financial support of the following companies and organizations having sponsored LABAT meetings throughout the years. Without their contribution the success of each and every LABAT Conference held so far would have been impossible.
Year of sponsoring
MONBAT Plc., Bulgaria - General Sponsor
2002, 2005, 2008, 2011, 2014, 2017
|AKUMICAR Ltd., Bulgaria (present MONBAT Plc.)||1993, 1996|
|AMER-SIL Ltd., Luxembourg||1993|
|BITRODE Ltd., UK||1996|
|BULVIA Import-Export, Bulgaria||1993|
|CABOT Corporation, USA||2014, 2017|
|CHLORIDE Technical and Trading Ltd., UK||1989|
|EBC Korea Co., Ltd., South Korea||2017|
|ELHIM-ISKRA JSC, Bulgaria||1996, 2011|
|ENERGIA Ltd., Bulgaria||1993, 1996|
|IEHIT Ltd., Bulgaria||1996|
|IMERYS Graphite & Carbon Ltd., Switzerland||2014|
|INBATEC GmbH, Germany||2014, 2017|
|JOHNSON CONTROLS, Inc., USA||1989, 1993, 1996, 2014|
|Maschinenfabrik Gustav EIRICH GmbH, Germany||1996|
|NESTE OY, Finland||1989|
|POLYSEP Ltd., Bulgaria||1993|
|ROVA 7 Ltd., Bulgaria||1996|
|ROYAL DUTCH/SHELL GROUP OF COMPANIES, UK||1993|
|Shandong JINKELI Power Sources Technology Co., Ltd., China||2017|
|SE.RI. Group, Italy||2014|
|SK AKUMULATORI, Bulgaria (present ELHIM-ISKRA JSC)||1989|
|START Ltd., Bulgaria (now part of MONBAT Plc.)||1993, 1996|
|UNESCO||1989, 1993, 1996|